" Excessive Obligation and Gratitude" are common behavioral patterns of many of my hundreds of EP coaching clients, resulting in current difficulties and issues being faced.
There are many different manifestations.
Some have difficulty to say "No", cannot refuse request, obliged to act and respond and feel negative inside, yet dare not reveal.
They do not feel at ease, nor at peace within, thus stress gets induced and this stress further leads to more complications, like depression, withdrawal, or deteriorating performance or sickness.
They often exhibit lack of confidence mindset, low self esteem, indecisive, procrastinating, weaving in thoughts and actions, lack of will power.
Due to their "Excessive Obligation and Gratitude" attitudes, they attract people who take advantage of such 'soft' behaviors.
One of my clients, part her hard earned saving of RM ($) 1/2 million to a stranger!
There are so many cases in Singapore, old obliging parents surrender all the saving to the children and get chased out from their own house.
"Excessive gratitude" is receiving minor good gesture and feels the need to sacrifice his or her whole life to repay back. It can be a partner good in cooking, the concerned party receives the good meal and feels indebted and forgive all the short comings of the partner.
Relationship issues are boundaries problems and confusion over role-play : as sibling, as parent, as lover, as spouse, friend, colleague, boss, subordinate, business partner, as customer (instead of customer is king, they behave more like 'slave' or 'subject' and manipulated by service providers or suppliers. ).
One of the contributing factors to this out of balance behavioral pattern is the mis-conception that "one should be generous, kind, and considerate to people and show as much gratitude".
What sounds like a noble way of behavior, is actually a set of limiting beliefs, and psychological complexities (often becoming self- sabotaging), such behaviors become clearer in the EP coaching process.
The following is some examples of revelation of their personalities and underlying psychology in the categories of Number Psychology
-  Self identity issue, low self worth
-  Dependency on others, feel the loss of self，guilt without obliging to others
-  Afraid to express deeply buried emotions by putting up a 'good front'
-  Feeling unstable, lack of grounding, lack of discipline
-  Overly focus on freedom and loose the boundaries in relationship like husband and wife, parents and children, customer and supplier, male and female. Some with belief like “My money is my partner’s money, so are my things”, though not the other way round from the partner!
-  Compelling need to take the burden of the whole world
-  Fear of facing own true self
-  Fear of being controlled and offer submissiveness
-  Blind faith in an ideology, or moral value e.g. 'sacrifice is a virtue', ‘please others by all means’, ..
Essentially such behaviors are driven by core-fear, the confusion and dilemma of his or her own existence in this world, for what purpose and what mission in life.
EP coaching helps to identify the underlying psychological issues and limiting beliefs, balance the arising energy from the thoughts, emotions and body sensation, to create a calm mind and felt sense of peace, thereby unleashing the power within.
Andrew - EP Coach